Thursday, March 5, 2015

Because Beer and Mushrooms

Mushrooms may be my most favorite thing to put in my mouth - and you know that's a wide statement. Recently, I ran across a recipe on the internet that combined mushrooms with beer. While I may not be quite as crazy about beer, I do love to cook with it. I simplified the recipe even more and made a batch of mushrooms that melt in your mouth.

I took 24 oz of small button mushrooms, washed them, and tossed them whole in to a wok. Other large skillets would work, too. I then added a cup of beer - this leaves a couple of ounces to just drink and enjoy while the food is cooking. For this particular venture, I choose Yellowhammer Rebellion. It's not to my taste for drinking (just a personal choice; it's a finely crafted beer), but this red ale held the perfect flavor to blend in with the mushrooms.

Turn the stove to a medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the beer has cooked out. You can add other spices of course. I added 2 teaspoon of canned coconut milk and a little bit of salt. Butter is another option, but since Yellowhammer is a vegan beer, why spoil things?

Most foods cooked in beer have only a slight bittery aftertaste to them, but these mushrooms go whole hog with the beer flavor. I think Rebellion may be perfection for this but let me know about your experiements with other brands of beer.




No comments:

Post a Comment